Film Review: Star Trek Beyond


This film featured in my 'I'm Excited For: Films of 2016' post back in January, and this is the third film I've seen from the list - we're still waiting on Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them and Finding Dory (which is out in a few days!)

I was gutted when I realised I couldn't make it to opening night, but it was our end-of-year work meal and I wouldn't have missed that! Saturday was also out of the question as Clay was working during the day and it was my Dad's 50th birthday meal in the evening. So we turned to Sunday, and that didn't happen either! So I made sure we went Monday night as Clay wasn't playing football.



The storyline was pretty easy to follow. As you know, I don't like to give away plots when reviewing films so there isn't too much I can tell you about this. I can say that I liked that it was constantly changing and moving things along, I never felt like it needed to hurry up and get to a certain point, which is good. 


I loved seeing the cast from the two previous movies back for the third. Simon Pegg and Chris Pine are brilliant as always. I adore Zachary Quinto as Spock and I found him very funny on a number of occasions during the film. The funniest moments went to Bones, who made me laugh the whole way through.

It was also great to see another amazing female added to the cast, alongside the brilliant Zoe Saldana. The character of Jaylah was definitely one of my favourites.

However, we can't forget the addition of our villain. Idris Elba was a great choice for Krall (pictured above). Clay had forgotten it was even him until quite late in the film. He's just one of those actors who could be in pretty much anything and I'd want to watch it.

Not forgetting my favourite from Star Trek and Star Trek: Into Darkness, with Anton Yelchin as Chekov. He's been hilarious and captivating since the first film. I love his wit and his accent, as well as him acting and just him presence on the screen.


The best part was that it got right into the action sequences, with a huge one right near the beginning, which results in a crash landing (that's not a spoiler, it's in the trailer!)

It keeps you on edge, wondering who will survive and just when you think it's calmed down for a bit, it all starts up again.


I would rate this movie:


It was a great continuation of the previous two films and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. I enjoyed those moments of satisfaction as well when I worked out what they were going to do next as it wasn't always that really obvious solution. I would watch this film again tomorrow, but I won't as there is still two others on the list for this week!

I also need to mention that if you see this film and wait through the first couple of minutes of immediate credits, they do show two messages that I was really hoping to see, and I'm so glad they did it. The first was 'In memory of Leonard Nimoy' and the second was 'For Anton'. These messages were followed by a blacked screen and a few moments of pure silence. It was a lovely touch to a great film, remembering two incredible actors, one sadly taken in his old age and the other taken far to early in a horrible accident. Their memories live on through the franchise.


No comments