Film Review: Black Panther


It's finally here! It's time for a new Marvel movie!

I have been so excited for this film (obviously, because it's Marvel and I'm always excited for the latest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe) and I had to take the opportunity to see the first showing of this.

I fell in love with the character of Black Panther when we first met him in Captain America: Civil War, even if he was chasing down my favourite character.

So, let's have a look at what I thought of the movie...


 

First, I need to address the casting. It's incredible. Obviously I'd already seen Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa, but it was amazing to see him in a film solely dedicated to him. I didn't know Forest Whitaker was in it, so that was a nice surprise, and I hadn't realised how heavily Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman were going to feature, but again I liked their parts in Civil War, so it was great to see them again. There's also Michael B. Jordan, who I was very impressed with. I'd only ever seen him twice before, in Fantastic Four, which I didn't like, and Creed, which I enjoyed. This is definitely the best role I've seen him in.

I have to make a big deal about the female cast in this film. They are unbelievably good. Lupita Nyong'o, Angela Bassett, Danai Gurira and Florence Kasumba were superb, but a special mention has to go out to Letitia Wright. Letitia plays T'Challa's younger sister and she is phenomenal. I would actually say that she is the star of the film for me and I can't wait to see what's next for her.



I thought the plot of the film was fantastic. I was hoping that it wasn't just going to be a "fill in" movie where nothing much happens and they're just using this release slot as a filler until Infinity War comes out, but that definitely wasn't the case. This film has such depth because not only does it build on existing characters and storylines, but it goes back into the history of Wakanda, the tribes and T'Challa's ancestors. It was the perfect blend and it was so well done. There was plenty of action and some of that signature Marvel Studios humour that I've come to love. Plus, you get your Stan Lee cameo too!

I have to say how much I love the soundtrack to this film too. Every scene was perfectly accompanied by the chosen music. I've been listening to the soundtrack on Spotify since I came out of the cinema screen.



I gave this film:



I honestly cannot fault this film. It's impossible for me to think of a single criticism for it right now because I'm so in love with these characters and their stories. I can't wait to see what happens next, especially after viewing the two post-credit scenes. Yes, there are two scenes. One is a mid-credit scene and the other is right at the very end. It is one-hundred percent worth waiting for the final credit scene because it involves my favourite character (bonus points to you if you know who my favourite is without seeing the credits scene!)

Have you seen Black Panther? Let me know what you thought of it over on Twitter or comment below.


No comments