Film Review: A Monster Calls


My first film of 2017 - on New Year's Day. I recently read the book that this film is based on for the second round of the WHSmith Zoella Book Club and I loved it. Patrick Ness, the author, also adapted his book to screenplay for the film. I love it when the author is able to do this as you have faith that the film will live up to expectations and will stick closely to the book.


Let's talk about the casting first. Lewis Macdougall was phenomenal! For a boy in such a complex role he did the most amazing job and he had me hooked on every scene. An amazing child actor who deserves award nominations for his role.

Felicity Jones and Sigourney Weaver were good supporting actresses, especially Sigourney Weaver's scene in her living room when she comes home (you'll know what I mean if you've read the book or seen the film) and Felicity Jones was brilliant in her last couple of scenes, which really had me crying.

Liam Neeson was also perfect for the Monster. His voice is so distinctive and he was just a brilliant choice.



This film was just a privilege to watch and, although this isn't a very long review, I could talk about it for such a long time but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has yet to watch it or read the book.

One thing I will say, that won't spoil it, is enjoy the beautifully-done story sequences that are almost watercolour animations. The Monster narrates the them all and they are a joy to listen to. I love the messages that come from each of them.

I gave this film:



There wasn't a dry eye in the cinema screen. There were two women in the row in front of me that were crying halfway through and carried on through to the end of the movie. It was visually stunning and the story was perfectly told.

I highly recommend this film, and if you haven't read the book then I recommend you read that too.



No comments