Film Review: The BFG


When The BFG was released I was in the same predicament as I was with Star Trek Beyond because they were both released last Friday when I was busy, so I've only just had the chance to see it.

The BFG is a real classic from Roald Dahl and I have been so excited to see if this movie is just what I wanted it to be.



Mark Rylance was a fantastic choice for the role of the Big Friendly Giant. It was also lovely to see an eleven-year-old give such a great performance as Sophie, and I hope we see more of Ruby Barnhill in the future.

The best part about this film for me was the visuals. It was stunning, especially the scene with the tree (you'll know what I mean if you've seen it, but I don't want to spoil it).

I heard this film didn't get a great reception in the US when it was released earlier in the month, but it's set in the UK so I assumed it would do better over here, with Roald Dahl being a British literary legend.


I would give this film:


This lived up to my expectations and was just as magical as I thought it would be. I would have definitely given it five stars but I felt like it needed to move on a little quicker once it had passed the halfway mark, which was a shame as the first half of the movie got right into the story. But it was brilliant and it made me and the people around me smile, which is the purpose of films like this.

I'd recommend this to everyone, especially families now that it's the school holidays.


No comments