Film Review: The Danish Girl

 
So I didn't wait very long into the new year to go to the cinema. Seventeen and a half hours to be exact! Clay wasn't fussed about seeing this film so I thought I might end up going on my own or missing it altogether. However, last night whilst celebrating New Year's Eve my Aunt mentioned that she and my Uncle were going today so I managed to tag along with them (My Uncle was pictured in my 'What I Got For Christmas 2015').


So, this was a film I was very interested in seeing from the moment I heard about it. I am a huge fan of 'The Theory of Everything' which I actually saw last year but I never wrote a review for it because I hadn't properly started my blog then and wasn't planning on writing film reviews as a regular feature. It's a shame really, because it would have probably been in 'My Top Ten: Films of 2015', but never mind.

I also adore Alicia Vikander, who was in 'The Man From UNCLE', which I reviewed here and it also featured in my top ten films of 2015. Alicia is beautiful and a brilliant actress so putting the two together seemed like a match made in heaven. They also threw in another of my favourites, Matthias Schoenaerts.

Obviously if you read any of my other reviews you know I don't like to give away spoilers, but this is based on a true story and a lot of people I've spoken to about it already knew a lot that happened in it. I will point out that both Alicia and Eddie will both be very strong contenders at The Oscars this year, as will the film as a whole. This movie was a great start to my reviews of 2016.
 
 
I fell in love with the characters and really connected with them from the moment they came onto the screen. My favourite character was Gerda, played by Alicia. She portrayed the wife of Einar/Lili (Eddie), and I think she was incredible because of the way she supported her husband as it went from them trying for a baby, to him dressing as Lili, to realising he believed he was meant to be a woman.

It was a stunning film and sometimes films like this feel incredibly long and have parts that drag, but not once did I feel like that during this movie.

 
I would give this film:


I recommend that you get yourself down to the cinema to see this one soon. A lot of the films coming out this month are tipped for the Oscars, so keep an eye out for those. Also, if you see this film please let me know what you think of it. You know the drill, drop me a message in the comments below or via Twitter or Instagram.

 

No comments