Film Review: Star Wars: The Force Awakens


If you have read any of my past film reviews and know my taste in movies then you can probably imagine how excited I was to go and see this! I was gutted when I realised I couldn't go on opening night (Thursday 17th) because Clay had his work Christmas meal. There was no way I was going without him as we both have Cineworld Unlimited cards (we're on the premium black cards now) and go to every film together, so I waited another 24 hours and went on Friday.

I have always been a fan of Star Wars. I remember my Dad introducing me to the original trilogy when I was little and I loved them, and then when they decided to do the newer prequel trilogy I may have only been seven but I fell in love with those too. I remember being in Year 3 at school when Episode 1 came out and I was obsessed with Qui Gon Jinn's character. I drew a picture of him and my teacher, Miss Griggs, put it up on the wall. Anyway, enough with the random childhood stories, let's get back to the movie...


When the film started I was just in awe. I loved how they kept the original opening sequence the same. When that music kicked in I sort of wanted to cry, I was that invested in this franchise that I couldn't believe I was finally about to watch this film.

What I loved is that the introduction made sense of the storyline straight away and not much else needed to be explained. I had already heard a bit about the new characters of Finn and Rey, and I must say that they didn't disappoint. I loved Finn from the beginning, but I found myself having to warm to Rey's character, as I was a little unsure at first but luckily by the end I loved her and was really routing for her.


Obviously, one of the big highlights of the movie was the return of some old characters, such as Leia, Chewie, and Han Solo. It was lovely to see them back in it and carrying the story on with those links still there. The moments when they came onto the screen for the first time actually made people cheer in the cinema. It was an amazing atmosphere in there that night.


I also have to give a very special mention to my new favourite, BB-8. He is the most adorable and funny little thing, and the most comedic moment in the whole movie for me was a scene with him. I won't explain it here as I don't want to spoil it, but you'll know it as soon as you see it. I was still thinking about it and laughing well after the scene had ended. BB-8 is just brilliant.

I would give this film a rather obvious:


This film lived up to all of my expectations and had me loving every minute of it. It was spot on and I don't really know how I'm going to cope with the wait for the next film after the final scene of the film.


Let me know what you thought of the new Star Wars instalment in the comments, or via Twitter. I love to hear people's views and favourite parts.

No comments