Film Review: Black Mass

 
I remember reading about this movie when it was being filmed, because I knew Benedict Cumberbatch was going to be in it. Johnny Depp is also an incredible actor so when it opened at UK cinemas this past Friday (4th December) I was very excited to see it right away.


I knew a little bit about the story of Whitey Bulger, but not enough to know what Depp's character in this movie would be truly capable of. It didn't even look like Johnny Depp, so I forgot I was watching him and actually felt scared of him. If that's how Whitey was in real life you really wouldn't want to mess with him!

He was terrifying, and most of the crimes committed were horrifying. It was incredibly violence and the whole way through I sat there thinking, 'The Cray's film, 'Legend', was not as gruesome as this and that was rated 18, so why isn't this?!' It really was not a 15 film, and the thought of some 15-year-olds seeing this movie actually makes me feel a bit sick. I know there's only three years between the two but at 15 you are still a child and in school (as much as many 15-year-olds would like to think they are grown ups, I don't think this film is appropriate).
 
 
The cast were incredible, as I said I wanted to see it as one of my favourites, Benedict Cumberbatch, stars in it as Depp's brother, who is quite the opposite of him! He did a great accent considering he is British, and played off well against Johnny Depp. I also loved Dakota Johnson's character, who was the mother of Whitey's only child. It was just a great cast.

 
This movie was edge-of-your-seat stuff with fantastic acting and a fab cast, but it was a little too violent for my liking, and definitely should have been rated as an 18! I would score it:
 
 

Have you been to see 'Black Mass'? I'd love to know what you think of the age certificate.

No comments