Film Review: Spectre


It may surprise you to know that I have never been a James Bond fan... Mainly because I've only ever seen Daniel Craig as 007 and that was only recently because I knew I wanted to see Spectre.

I was asked 'why do you want to see it if you've never seen James Bond movies and aren't really interested in them?', and my answer had two parts:

1. Because everyone else will be seeing it and I don't want to miss out, even if I don't fully understand if they reference past movies.
2. Andrew Scott is in it, my beloved Moriarty from BBC's Sherlock.

 
So I asked Clay to fill me in on anything important that I might need to know and off we went into the cinema screen.

I must add that I wanted to see this movie on Monday but I could never have prepared myself for how busy it was! Monday night was fully booked and so was Tuesday for every showing, and there was at least ten showings - even the 10am slot was full! So we had to grab the first date and time with tickets spare, which was 10am Wednesday. It was still extremely full. I know it's half term, but seriously?! Clearly I didn't know how popular this franchise was.


I went in not really knowing what to expect, apart from the knowledge that Christoph Waltz was a bad guy, James Bond goes somewhere snowy and Andrew Scott had a 'blink and you'll miss him' part in the trailer. My fingers were firmly crossed that he would be in it more than that!

I'll start by saying, yet again, I'm obviously not going to give the plot away. But I can say that I thought the first ten-fifteen minutes were the most exciting. It's 'The Day of the Dead' festival and the costumes, makeup, and action in the first few minutes is brilliant. I was also in love with the movie by the time the opening credits ended, with Sam Smith's beautiful 'Writing's On The Wall' track playing.

The first hour had me completely hooked! I was so sure that this was one of the best movies I had ever seen and that it would be getting five stars.

Unfortunately my opinion changed around the middle of the film where I felt the entertainment factor of the film fizzled out a little bit. It still had me watching every second but something just changed for me.

 
Saying that does not mean that I think it is a bad film, not at all, especially as towards the end I felt like it picked up what it lost again and I forgot all about this 'slump' I thought it fell into.

There is a scene that the end in an old building that has a time limit element and that had me on the edge of my seat.

Plus, I was happy to see that Andrew Scott was in it a lot more than the trailer showed him in. Hooray!


I would give this film:


I loved this movie, despite the bit that left me a little deflated and wanting more from certain parts, so I couldn't lower the score too much. Let me know if you go and see this film and share your views.

I have now been convinced to watch some old James Bond movies. I'll give them a chance.

Also, what do you think of the rumours circulating about this being Daniel Craig's last movie as 007? Who would you like to see as the next James Bond if this is Craig's last one?


No comments