Film Review: The Martian


This is a film that I wasn't overly fussed about seeing when I first saw the adverts. For a start the poster annoyed me because I see the phrase 'Bring Him Home' as something paired with Les Miserables, not a space movie. But I looked past that and got myself down to the cinema on opening night to see what all the hype was about.

I thought it would be a struggle to get Clay to the cinema to see this film because he really isn't a Matt Damon fan! He just doesn't like him or any movies he's done. But surprisingly Clay was happy to go along because, despite not being a fan of the leading actor, he had seen the trailer and was drawn in by the storyline.

Now, the storyline in short is an astronaut gets left behind on Mars. My first reaction was that I wouldn't be able to see this because it made me feel very panicked at the thought of being left that far away and on my own. It's safe to say that I would have definitely died, and pretty quickly I'm sure!

I'm obviously not going to give away the full plot or the ending because that's not the point of this post because I want people to go to the cinema and enjoy the movies I blog about and share my love for. But this was a film with many tense moments that had me on the edge of my seat and getting very involved and invested in the characters and what was happening on the big screen.


The rest of the cast were what really sold me on this film, as I am a huge fan of Chiwetel Ejiofor and Jessica Chastain. I was kind of sad that we didn't see very much of Jessica, but we saw a fair amount of Chiwetel which was good. I'm also a massive fan of Sebastian Stan, who played Dr Chris Beck, who - like Jessica - didn't have a huge part but I still loved him.

The only problem I really had with this movie was that it was long (over two hours!) and it felt like it. I know the film wouldn't have worked as well if they had shortened it down but I just found myself sitting there a few times thinking 'I feel like I've been in here for two hours already' and then seeing that it has only just hit the one hour mark!

When we came out of the cinema Clay's first words were 'That is now in my top ten favourite films, I loved it'. It completely changed his opinion of Matt Damon.

The thing that showed I enjoyed it was the fact that I had managed to stay awake after seeing Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet the previous night, not going to sleep until 2am and then getting up for work at 6am, I thought I'd be asleep but clearly it was good enough to counteract that!

For this movie I would give it a rating of:


I really enjoyed this, as found it very easy to follow with understandable terminology and it kept me on the edge of my seat, but I just found myself wanting everything to speed up. But I couldn't take more than one star away for that so I'll go with four.

Have you been to see The Martian yet? Will you be going? Let me know what you think of it.

Also, just a quick note, that there will probably be a lot of film reviews coming up on here now as it is coming into those months where Oscar-nominated films start to appear. I already know I'll be seeing and reviewing Crimson Peak, Spectre, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, and I Saw The Light, so I'll keep you up to date with those movies as I see them.
 

No comments