Film Review: Cinderella

 
 
I totally forgot to post this a few weeks back when I went to see the new live action film, Disney's Cinderella, so although I saw it on opening night I'm only just putting it on here now. Oops!
 
 
Our cinema had one of Cinderella's glass slipper on display, as well as having a Cinderella-themed charity event the following day with lots of activities for the children seeing it on the Saturday.
 
Being a mega-Disney fan and Cinderella being my favourite I had to have a picture with it! Also, being the oddball that I am I wore my blue sparkly cardigan (which obviously had nothing on her stunning ball gown in the movie) and wore sparkly princess-inspired make-up, although you can't see it in the picture. Trust me, if I could have worn a tiara and not looked stupid I would have done!

 
 
I did, however, wear my own sparkly 'slippers' for mine and Clay's movie night. It was as close to being Cinderella as I was going to get.
 
 
Anyway, back to the film. In a brief comment: I loved it.
 
Kenneth Branagh is one of my favourite actors/directors. He directed one of my favourite Marvel films, Thor, and he was the best Henry V in Shakespeare's play I have ever seen (with Tom Hiddleston a close second).
 
The films motto of 'have courage and be kind' has really stuck with me.
 
 
Lily James (Cinderella) and Richard Madden (Kit, the Prince) were phenomenal. I couldn't imagine two people better suited to the roles. Cate Blanchett (Lady Tremaine) was also amazing, and even though you dislike the way she treats Ella you do feel sorry for her a bit at the end, because you can see she did what she did because she was desperate. It was just the wrong way about it, obviously!
 
 
It's clear that I plan to give this film a very high score because of how much I've praised everything so far. I honestly couldn't fault it.
 
My favourite scenes were when she had her dress transformed by the fairy godmother (the brilliant Helena Bonham Carter) because this is the iconic scene that everyone was waiting for, apart from the glass slipper scene at the end when it fits, and the ballroom scene when Cinderella walks in, the prince sees her, and they dance.
 
I am determined to learn their first dance, it's so beautiful.
 
 
Here are a few pictures of my fairytale favourites, Lily James and Richard Madden.
 
 
So I think it would be obvious to say that I loved this movie. It told the classic tale in a way that still had you wondering what would happen next. I got that same feeling as when I first watched the Disney original back when I was a child.
 
I would score this film:
 

 
 
If you haven't seen this film yet get yourself down to the cinema as soon as you can!
 
 

No comments